The Inverse team is pleased to announce the immediate availability of
This is a major release with new features, enhancements and important bug
This release is considered ready for production use and upgrading from previous
versions is strongly advised.
What is PacketFence?
PacketFence is a fully supported, trusted, Free and Open Source Network Access
Control (NAC) solution.
Boasting an impressive feature set, PacketFence can be used to effectively
secure small to very large heterogeneous networks.
Among the features provided by PacketFence, there are:
• powerful BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) capabilities
• state-of-the art devices fingerprinting with Fingerbank
• multiple enforcement methods including Role-Based Access Control
(RBAC) and hotspot-style
• compliance checks for endpoints present on your network
• integration with various vulnerability scanners, intrusion detection
solutions, security agents and firewalls
• bandwidth accounting for all devices
A complete overview of the solution is available from the official website:
Changes Since Previous Release
• Added support for CoovaChilli capable equipment
• Added page to visualize the status of the services on all cluster
• Added support for RADIUS Change of Authorization on Meraki equipment
• Added configurable actions to be executed at the end of a portal
• Automatic registration of devices is now configurable from the GUI on
a per profile basis
• A violation can now be triggered by a switch or a switch group
• Portal profile filters can now be defined by switch groups
• Moved RADIUS audit log in its own module in the admin interface
• Saved searches support for the RADIUS audit log module
• The portal now supports RADIUS Challenge Response authentication
• Added module to redirect to internal or external pages within the
portal modules configuration
• Added configuration checkup for cluster.conf
• Added ability to limit the number of logins when creating a local
• Added choice of sending either RADIUS CoA or Disconnect when
deauthenticating a device
• Admin interface is now available on all members of the cluster
without the need of being the master
• FreeRADIUS now logs to a separate file per process (authentication,
• Improved performance of the online/offline search
• Fix profile filter saving incorrectly on Debian Jessie
• Improved internationalization in portal and admin web interfaces
• Fixed email registration not working when activating access through a
proxy or firewall
• Authentication log (auth_log) will now be cleaned automatically via
See https://github.com/inverse-inc/packetfence/commits/packetfence-6.1.0 for
the complete change log.
See the UPGRADE file for notes about upgrading:
PacketFence is free software and is distributed under the GNU GPL. As such, you
are free to download and try it by either getting the new release or by getting
the sources: https://packetfence.org/download.html
Documentation about the installation and configuration of PacketFence is also
How Can I Help?
PacketFence is a collaborative effort in order to create the best Free and Open
Source NAC solution. There are multiple ways you can contribute to the project:
• Documentation reviews, enhancements and translations
• Feature requests or by sharing your ideas
• Participate in the discussion on mailing lists
• Patches for bugs or enhancements
• Provide new translations of remediation pages
For any questions, do not hesitate to contact us by writing to
You can also fill our online form (https://inverse.ca/#contact) and a
representative from Inverse will contact you.
Inverse offers professional services to organizations willing to secure their
wired and wireless networks with the PacketFence solution.
lmu...@inverse.ca :: www.inverse.ca
+1.514.447.4918 x125 :: +1 (866) 353-6153 x125
Inverse inc. :: Leaders behind SOGo (www.sogo.nu) and PacketFence
Attend Shape: An AT&T Tech Expo July 15-16. Meet us at AT&T Park in San
Francisco, CA to explore cutting-edge tech and listen to tech luminaries
present their vision of the future. This family event has something for
everyone, including kids. Get more information and register today.
PacketFence-announce mailing list