From: Morris, Andi [mailto:amor...@cardiffmet.ac.uk]
Sent: 03 November 2015 20:08
To: packetfence-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [PacketFence-users] Registered devices sitting in captive portal

Hi all,
I'm still having a large problem with devices sitting in my captive portal, and
as such using up a lot of PF resources. With others help on here I've setup a
violation that I can trigger if I see a device sitting in there for too long,
and I've managed to get any long term devices off the network in that way, but
the main problem I'm getting is with devices that are setup and registered for
my main SSID, however the setup SSID isn't forgotten on the device, which means
that as users roam around the devices switch between networks frequently.

There are simply too many of these devices for me to capture and notify the
users manually (20,000 registered devices, 3000 main SSID and 500 in setup SSID
during peak times).

Is there a way, and is it advisable, to block a device from the registration
network once it is registered? Perhaps using vlan filters? Something like
(rough pseudo code sorry, I don't have the filters in front of me):

If
SSID = setup_network
device = registered

then
role = blocked

Then outside of vlan filters the blocked role assigns the vlan of -1 in
switches.conf?

I know that if a device then need to get setup again they will need to contact
our helpdesk to get them unregistered (I can't get status page working here),
but at the moment I think that's a better solution than having the PF box run
out of CPU during peak hours.

Cheers,
Andi