From: Fabrice Durand [mailto:fdur...@inverse.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2018 2:01 PM
To: E.P. <ype...@gmail.com>; packetfence-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [PacketFence-users] [Packetfence] AD authentication with
FreeRadius: "reading winbind reply failed!"

Hello Eugene,

Le 2018-03-06 à 22:33, E.P. a écrit :

Hi Jimmy and Fabrice,

I would like to report the same experience. I have a realm (OPTIONS-AD-REALM)
and it is associated with the AD domain (optionsad), i.e.

[OPTIONS-AD-REALM]

domain=optionsad

options=strip

I had similar problems with winbind, same errors in the output of RADIUS debug.
Moreover, my attempt to test authentication from the command line was
successful:

This is just an ldap bind / search, not the same think as ntlm_auth

[root@PacketFence-ZEN bin]# ./pftest authentication it.tech XXXXXXXXX

Authenticating against OPTIONS-AD-SOURCE

  Authentication SUCCEEDED against OPTIONS-AD-SOURCE (Authentication
successful.)

  Matched against OPTIONS-AD-SOURCE for 'authentication' rules

    set_role : Staff

    set_unreg_date : 2019-12-31

Go figure what’s wrong, permissions, bugs or a lack of understanding from my
side as what I see as the result of ntlm_auth query drives me mad:

There is a chroot for each domains, if you do : chroot /chroot/ITTECH then
wbinfo -u, does it answer something ?
Also a radius request in debug mode should help to find the solution.

[root@PacketFence-ZEN bin]# ntlm_auth --request-nt-key --domain=optionsad
--username=it.tech

Password:

could not obtain winbind separator!

Reading winbind reply failed! (0x01)

:  (0x0)

So, here I would like Fabrice comment on this, specifically bearing in mind
that it all works if I use only the default realm and link it to the AD domain.

What’s the point of having named realms ?

Moreover, if I test my authentication source with the authentication realm
pointing to default the test fails. If I remove it then the test goes through ?

What’s the point of having the realm here, Fabrice ?

Moreover, if I use FQDN for the host that acts as the windows domain controller
my test also fails but if I use the IP address it is all good.

I know and I swear that PF can resolve the name normally.

There are more questions that I’d like to ask strongly believing there’s faulty
code or missing documentation or a combination of both.

Eugene