Hi Fabrice,

For what it's worth, I've found the same results on both PacketFence 6.4
and 8.0.

And yes, I did/do have packetfence-local-auth enabled.

Our goal is to use an external RADIUS server for authentication.  However,
the RADIUS server doesn't store the realm identification as part of the
username, so I can't send "josh.nat...@bfacademy.de", I must only send
"josh.nathan" to the RADIUS server as the username.  However, since this
RADIUS server is cloud-based, it will only accept proxying the entire EAP
conversation, and rejects he authentication request if I don't let the
inner-tunnel do the EAP as well.  The problem I ran into was that when
stripping the domain from the username, it broke the EAP encryption, always
resulting in authentication failure.  If instead, the user withholds the
domain information (ie. only enters "josh.nathan" into their device), this
allows the EAP to maintain its integrity.

This, of course, opened up other issues.  PacketFence wouldn't proxy the
connection if the realm wasn't set to match the Proxy realm ("bfacademy.de").
In order to get PacketFence to do the proxy, I had to change where
PacketFence defaults to the realm "LOCAL" to my desired proxy realm.  And
now I've run into the issue that if the realm is not set to "LOCAL", it's
not trying the SQL database, but as it loops through, it keeps seeing the
realm as what I set it to be ("bfacademy.de"), and then skips the local
database.

We'll be looking to upgrade to PacketFence 8.x in the relatively near
future, but for now we're still on 6.4.  Here's what our packetfence-tunnel
config looks like:

# -*- text -*-
#
#       This is a virtual server that handles *only* inner tunnel
#       requests for EAP-TTLS and PEAP types.
#
#       $Id: c250afa30a78fe9ff7a97b6c9b8a7c3a419a6946 $
#

server packetfence-tunnel {

#  Authorization. First preprocess (hints and huntgroups files),
#  then realms, and finally look in the "users" file.
#
#  The order of the realm modules will determine the order that
#  we try to find a matching realm.
#
#  Make *sure* that 'preprocess' comes before any realm if you
#  need to setup hints for the remote radius server
authorize {
        #
        #  Take a User-Name, and perform some checks on it, for spaces and
other
        #  invalid characters.  If the User-Name appears invalid, reject the
        #  request.
        #
        #  See policy.d/filter for the definition of the filter_username
policy.
        #
        filter_username

        #
        #  If the users are logging in with an MS-CHAP-Challenge
        #  attribute for authentication, the mschap module will find
        #  the MS-CHAP-Challenge attribute, and add 'Auth-Type := MS-CHAP'
        #  to the request, which will cause the server to then use
        #  the mschap module for authentication.
        mschap

        #
        #  If you are using multiple kinds of realms, you probably
        #  want to set "ignore_null = yes" for all of them.
        #  Otherwise, when the first style of realm doesn't match,
        #  the other styles won't be checked.
        #
        #  Note that proxying the inner tunnel authentication means
        #  that the user MAY use one identity in the outer session
        #  (e.g. "anonymous", and a different one here
        #  (e.g. "u...@example.com").  The inner session will then be
        #  proxied elsewhere for authentication.  If you are not
        #  careful, this means that the user can cause you to forward
        #  the authentication to another RADIUS server, and have the
        #  accounting logs *not* sent to the other server.  This makes
        #  it difficult to bill people for their network activity.
        #
        suffix
        ntdomain

        %%multi_domain%%
        #
        #  The "suffix" module takes care of stripping the domain
        #  (e.g. "@example.com") from the User-Name attribute, and the
        #  next few lines ensure that the request is not proxied.
        #
        #  If you want the inner tunnel request to be proxied, delete
        #  the next few lines.
        #
        update control {
###             &Proxy-To-Realm := LOCAL
                &Proxy-To-Realm := "bfacademy.de"
        }

        #
        #  This module takes care of EAP-MSCHAPv2 authentication.
        #
        #  It also sets the EAP-Type attribute in the request
        #  attribute list to the EAP type from the packet.
        #
        #  The example below uses module failover to avoid querying all
        #  of the following modules if the EAP module returns "ok".
        #  Therefore, your LDAP and/or SQL servers will not be queried
        #  for the many packets that go back and forth to set up TTLS
        #  or PEAP.  The load on those servers will therefore be reduced.
        #
        eap {
                ok = return
        }

        #
        #  Read the 'users' file
        #files

        # Check if PacketFence local (SQL) authentication is enabled.
        # Run the packetfence-local-auth policy if it is.
        rewrite_called_station_id

        # Uncomment the following line to enable local PEAP authentication
        packetfence-local-auth

        #
        #  The ldap module reads passwords from the LDAP database.
        #ldap

        #
        #  If no other module has claimed responsibility for
        #  authentication, then try to use PAP.  This allows the
        #  other modules listed above to add a "known good" password
        #  to the request, and to do nothing else.  The PAP module
        #  will then see that password, and use it to do PAP
        #  authentication.
        #
        #  This module should be listed last, so that the other modules
        #  get a chance to set Auth-Type for themselves.
        #
        pap
}

#  Authentication.
#
#
#  This section lists which modules are available for authentication.
#  Note that it does NOT mean 'try each module in order'.  It means
#  that a module from the 'authorize' section adds a configuration
#  attribute 'Auth-Type := FOO'.  That authentication type is then
#  used to pick the appropriate module from the list below.
#

#  In general, you SHOULD NOT set the Auth-Type attribute.  The server
#  will figure it out on its own, and will do the right thing.  The
#  most common side effect of erroneously setting the Auth-Type
#  attribute is that one authentication method will work, but the
#  others will not.
#
#  The common reasons to set the Auth-Type attribute by hand
#  is to either forcibly reject the user, or forcibly accept him.
#
authenticate {
        #
        #  PAP authentication, when a back-end database listed
        #  in the 'authorize' section supplies a password.  The
        #  password can be clear-text, or encrypted.
        Auth-Type PAP {
                pap
        }

        #
        #  Most people want CHAP authentication
        #  A back-end database listed in the 'authorize' section
        #  MUST supply a CLEAR TEXT password.  Encrypted passwords
        #  won't work.
        Auth-Type CHAP {
                chap
        }

        #
        #  MSCHAP authentication
        Auth-Type MS-CHAP {
                packetfence     # increment the StatsD counter
                if(PacketFence-Domain) {
                        chrooted_mschap
                }
                else {
                        mschap
                }
        }

        # Uncomment it if you want to use ldap for authentication
        #
        # Note that this means "check plain-text password against
        # the ldap database", which means that EAP won't work,
        # as it does not supply a plain-text password.
        #
        #  We do NOT recommend using this.  LDAP servers are databases.
        #  They are NOT authentication servers.  FreeRADIUS is an
        #  authentication server, and knows what to do with authentication.
        #  LDAP servers do not.
        #
#               Auth-Type LDAP {
#                       ldap
#               }

        #
        #  Allow EAP authentication.
        eap
}

#
#       There are no accounting requests inside of EAP-TTLS or PEAP
#       tunnels.
#

#  Session database, used for checking Simultaneous-Use. Either the radutmp
#  or rlm_sql module can handle this.
#  The rlm_sql module is *much* faster
session {
        radutmp

        #
        #  See "Simultaneous Use Checking Queries" in sql.conf
        #       sql
}

#  Post-Authentication
#  Once we KNOW that the user has been authenticated, there are
#  additional steps we can take.
#
#  Note that the last packet of the inner-tunnel authentication
#  MAY NOT BE the last packet of the outer session.  So updating
#  the outer reply MIGHT work, and sometimes MIGHT NOT.  The
#  exact functionality depends on both the inner and outer
#  authentication methods.
#
#  If you need to send a reply attribute in the outer session,
#  the ONLY safe way is to set "use_tunneled_reply = yes", and
#  then update the inner-tunnel reply.
post-auth {
        #
        rest
        if (updated || ok || noop) {
                request-timing
                -sql
        } else {
                request-timing
                -sql_reject
        }

        #
        #  Un-comment the following if you have set
        #  'edir_account_policy_check = yes' in the ldap module sub-section
of
        #  the 'modules' section.
        #
        #ldap

        #
        #  These attributes are for the inner session only.
        #  They MUST NOT be sent in the outer reply.
        #
        #  If you uncomment the previous block and leave
        #  this one commented out, WiFi WILL NOT WORK,
        #  because the client will get two MS-MPPE-keys
        #
        update outer.session-state {
                &MS-MPPE-Encryption-Policy !* ANY
                &MS-MPPE-Encryption-Types !* ANY
                &MS-MPPE-Send-Key !* ANY
                &MS-MPPE-Recv-Key !* ANY
                &Message-Authenticator !* ANY
                &EAP-Message !* ANY
                &Proxy-State !* ANY
        }

        #
        #  Access-Reject packets are sent through the REJECT sub-section of
the
        #  post-auth section.
        #
        #  Add the ldap module name (or instance) if you have set
        #  'edir_account_policy_check = yes' in the ldap module
configuration
        #
        Post-Auth-Type REJECT {
                request-timing
                # log failed authentications in SQL, too.
                -sql_reject
                attr_filter.access_reject

                #
                #  Let the outer session know which module failed, and why.
                #
                update outer.session-state {
                        &Module-Failure-Message :=
&request:Module-Failure-Message
                }
        }
}

#
#  When the server decides to proxy a request to a home server,
#  the proxied request is first passed through the pre-proxy
#  stage.  This stage can re-write the request, or decide to
#  cancel the proxy.
#
#  Only a few modules currently have this method.
#
pre-proxy {
        #  Uncomment the following line if you want to change attributes
        #  as defined in the preproxy_users file.
        #       files

        #  Uncomment the following line if you want to filter requests
        #  sent to remote servers based on the rules defined in the
        #  'attrs.pre-proxy' file.
        #       attr_filter.pre-proxy

        #  If you want to have a log of packets proxied to a home
        #  server, un-comment the following line, and the
        #  'detail pre_proxy_log' section, above.
        #       pre_proxy_log
}

#
#  When the server receives a reply to a request it proxied
#  to a home server, the request may be massaged here, in the
#  post-proxy stage.
#
post-proxy {

        #  If you want to have a log of replies from a home server,
        #  un-comment the following line, and the 'detail post_proxy_log'
        #  section, above.
        #       post_proxy_log

        #  Uncomment the following line if you want to filter replies from
        #  remote proxies based on the rules defined in the 'attrs' file.
        #       attr_filter.post-proxy

        #
        #  If you are proxying LEAP, you MUST configure the EAP
        #  module, and you MUST list it here, in the post-proxy
        #  stage.
        #
        #  You MUST also use the 'nostrip' option in the 'realm'
        #  configuration.  Otherwise, the User-Name attribute
        #  in the proxied request will not match the user name
        #  hidden inside of the EAP packet, and the end server will
        #  reject the EAP request.
        #
        eap
}

} # inner-tunnel server block

Joshua Nathan
*IT Supervisor*
Black Forest Academy

p: +49 (0) 7626 9161 630 m: +49 (0) 152 3452 0056
a:
w: Hammersteiner Straße 50, 79400 Kandern
bfacademy.de