Here is my setup:

   1. 3 x CentOS 7 (fully up-to-date) w/ SELinux *disabled *+
firewalld *disabled
   *and *masked *+ IPv6 *disabled *(via sysctl.conf and /etc/defaults/grub
   ipv6.disable=1). I also have net.ipv4.ip_nonlocal_bind = 1 in sysctl.conf.
   Xtrabackup is also installed. Each box is a VM on ESXi with only one vNIC
   (ens192...vmxnet3 based). This interface has all port group security OFF
   which is a requirement for VRRP. My management VLAN is VLAN10, so my
   management interface is "ens192.10." I can dedicate a vNIC to management if
   necessary, I just like to keep my vNIC count to a minimum.
   2. PacketFence is installed on all three VMs...named pf1.ad.mydomain.com,
   pf2.ad.mydomain.com, pf3.ad.mydomain.com. I use nmtui on all three nodes
   to set the hostname (pf1.ad.mydomain.com, etc....)
   3. On the first node, pf1.ad.mydomain.com, I start packetfence-mariadb
   and secure the installation. I set the root password and then press Y for
   everything else.
   4. I then login to mariadb console to create the pfcluster user for
   replication. 'mysql -u root -p' ... type in password defined in step 3. I
   then create both users and grant process *as per the clustering
guide*...replacing
   only the pfcluster password with a secure password of my choosing....flush
   privileges; and exit the mariadb console.
   5. On all the nodes, I use the configurator to set the management
   VLAN/IP ens192.10 on all three nodes. 192.168.10.51-53, 192.168.10.50 is
   used as the cluster VRRP management IP.
   6. On the first node only, I proceed through the configurator only to
   the screen that shows the database password, admin password, etc. I DO NOT
   press Start Packetfence.
   7. I add a new line 'host=127.0.0.1' to '[database]' in pf.conf I also
   add the [active_active] section with the galera username 'pfcluster' and
   the secure password I defined in step 4. In pfconfig.conf I replace
   host=localhost with host=127.0.0.1. Save both confs.
   8. When I restart packetfence config and configreload hard, I get a ton
   of L2 cache errors...I'm guessing because the DB is unavailable? It would
   be really nice if the documentation was very clear on what errors are
   expected and what are not. This is really ambiguous as written.
   9. Next I build my cluster.conf which is pretty basic: (
   https://pastebin.com/Xm2wYXJt )
   10. Again, when I configreload hard, I get the same L2 cache errors that
   I'm assuming are DB related and expected.
   11. On all nodes, I 'systemctl set-default packetfence-cluster'
   12. On the first node, stop packetfence-mariadb, generatemariadbconfig
   and bootstrap the first node with --force-new-cluster.
   13. In a new SSH session, I attempt to service pf restart and I still
   get L2 cache errors indicating that something is wrong with the DB (?)

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 9:11 PM Durand fabrice via PacketFence-users <
packetfence-users@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Hello Christian,
>
> in which step do you have an issue ?
>
> Regards
>
> Fabrice
>

> Le 20-07-06 à 18 h 49, Christian McDonald via PacketFence-users a écrit :
>
> Greetings,
>
> I've been pulling my hair out trying to get a 3-node PF Cluster running.
>
> Has anyone recently followed the clustering guide running the latest PF
> version?
>
> I'm usually pretty good at following instructions, but there is something
> very broken about the clustering guide.
>
> Anybody have any suggestions?

R. Christian McDonald
*Director of Technology*