Jim Henderson posted on Sun, 15 May 2022 19:08:17 -0000 (UTC) as
excerpted:

> On Sun, 15 May 2022 11:36:54 +0200, Dominique Dumont wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, 11 May 2022 17:21:28 CEST Jim Henderson wrote:

[I'm all for snipping to replied context, but that's missing here.  I had
to go back and find it...]

Context is group pane and overall main window sizing bugs, apparently
message specific.

>>> I built using commit 0342028b34ece0b0349ef3b4d9165dba1c3fd54a - how
>>> does that compare to your build?
>>
>> I've just re-built pan/gtk3 with that version and did not see any
>> problem with the "community meeting" message you mentioned.
>>
>> All the best
>
> Thanks.  I wonder if maybe it's something being caused by an older
> configuration holdover.  I'll look at nuking the config files and see if
> that helps.

Just so we're not comparing apples to grapes, everyone's running in multi-
pane mode, not tabbed-layout, correct?  Any difference in behavior either
switching to tabbed or changing the pane layout/order?

In my experience message-specific bugs are often due to bugs in specific
versions of gmime, thus explaining difference behavior with the same pan
version across different distros/distro-releases with different versions
of gmime installed.

FWIW I'm running gmime-3.2.11 here (with pan from git, having just
upgraded to pull in the latest translation tweak commit, according to the
git log, version should be in headers as I'm posting with pan) and haven't
seen the issue in general (here it seems more stable than early 3.2, but
that could be pan stabilizing on gtk3 too), tho I've not checked those
specific messages.  RPMFind.net[1] seems to list 3.2.6 and 3.2.7 for
OpenSuSE even including tumbleweed (libgmime-3), so it seems it's a bit
behind.  Tho FWIW download.gnome.org still says 3.2.7 is the latest, but
github.com/jstedfast/gmime has 3.2.11 tagged on March 18.  No idea what's
going on there but obviously Gentoo trusts it or that version wouldn't be
in the tree.

As for the specific bug, I'd guess it's a utf-8-multibyte-character bug...
in gmime of course... getting pan's width calculation all screwed up
somehow.

Meanwhile, back in gtk2 times there used to be a bug with the message-list
(aka overview aka header pane), where a gtk update would apparently
invalidate some icon/image cache, and the first time pan started after an
update, the state and action column icons would be regenerated, but pan
would load up before they were and not finding those resources, would
zero-out those columns along with all the others to the right (which given
those are leftmost in my layout and AFAIK by default, meant *ALL* of
them), save for whatever happened to be last, score in my case, so that
column would get ALL the space.  If one knew to look one could find and
fiddle with all the dividers piled up on top of each other on one side,
but after a couple times, I eventually setup patches to the config file
that would reset sane sizes for any that were zeroed out, and set them to
be auto-applied in my pan wrapper script.  Then all I had to do was
restart pan again if I saw it happen on a first startup, and the wrapper
script would apply the patches and get me back my sane column widths. =:^)

While I don't believe this is the same bug as this seems to be text not
column-icon related, I've never seen it on the gtk3 build, and it didn't
affect main window size only the pane size, the shrinking to a single
pixel behavior does remind me of that old one.

Finally, it's not going to help with pane sizes but the overall main
window size should be forceable, depending on your wayland compositor or
X-window manager.  Again back in the gtk2 era, the preferences dialog
would try to be multiple screens wide for some reason[2], and I had to
setup a window rule to force it to something sane.  (Running KDE Plasma
kwin_wayland with its available window rules, which I used back with
kwin_x11 as well, tho the only X I have installed now is xwayland...)

---
[1] Back in the day when I still ran an rpm-based distro -- Mandrake, it's
been that long ago -- I used to use rpmfind.net to find version upgrades.
But I've been a gentooer for nearing 20 years now, well, spring of 2024 so
not quite 20 years /just/ yet, but anyway, I do still find rpmfind.net
useful for stuff such as this, and sometimes wonder if there's an
equivalent debfind...  (Just checking seems debfind.net does exist but the
site seems to be in German, and of course having just found it I've no
idea if it's even a legit site.)

[2] IDR the details but I remember seeing the git commit that was supposed
to fix it. =:^)  Tho FWIW I still have the rule set so I can't be sure it
actually did.  For the main window tho I only have a minimum size set,
because pan seems to be sane with that, but sometimes I want to resize it
larger and then like a minimum set to be able to return it to an exact
minimum size again.