Robin Laing posted on Mon, 28 Aug 2023 10:45:04 -0600 as excerpted:

> Just now, I was looking at a preview image and when I expanded the
> image, the screen went to a much wider screen.  This has been an issue
> for some time and very random but happens with the same image.  Will
> have to test after reopening PAN and will try in debug mode.
>
> After this, I found that I couldn't resize the window, even when I
> selected a simple test message.  I could change the column width but
> that still didn't let me change the window size.
>
> Playing around, if I selected the bottom corner and it allowed me to
> shorten the window height which then allowed me to change the window
> width.
>
> This is with Detlef's compiled version of 0.154.
>
> I am on KDE.

Interesting.  kde plasma session here too and I've not seen this, but there
are of course multiple possible reasons that could be. (With your specific
case being image-related, the obvious reason there is that nearly all my
routine pan use is for mailing lists like this on gmane.io, so text-based,
so it's likely I simply haven't come across a triggering image.)

Tho all this reminds me, back in the gtk2 era there was a known long-term
bug, I'm pretty sure fixed with the switch to gtk3 but your bug reminded me
of it and could have a similar logic-bug reason, where pan's prefs dialog
would try to resize to far wider than any normal screen.  I did suffer that
bug, but worked around it using a kwin window rule that forced the size of
pan's prefs window to something reasonable.

Since you're on kde presumably you could do something similar with window
rules if you had to, but presumably the OP isn't, and in any case the issue
there seems to be window-internal, not expressed in full main-window size,
so unaddressable via window rule.