Raj,

> > Changes:
> >
> > - Revised definition of "Serving Network".
> >
> > - Added an informational reference for 802.21 as an example mechanism
> > for discovering PaC and CPAA to discover each other.
> >
> > Basavaraj questioned about the need for PAA-initiated pre-auth, and I
> > agreed with his comment. But
> > PAA-initiated pre-auth still remains, based on Alper's comment "PANA
> > already supports PAA-initiated auth. So, unless we do anything
> special
> > (to eliminate this case), it comes for free."
>
> Even though PANA supports PAA-initiated auth, I do not believe this is
> applicable in the case where the target network to which the host is
> not
> even attached would be able to trigger authentication.
> So while the PAA-initiated auth makes sense in the regular PANA use
> case, I
> don't see this as being valid in the scenario described in the pre-auth
> I-D.

As you know, there are examples of wireless network architectures that
support network-initiated handovers. Such architectures are aware of the
mobile's target network elements (BS, authenticator, etc.) and perform a
number of signaling in the infra-side and also dictate the mobile to move.
Such architectures are potentially capable of using network-initiated
pre-auth.

I'm inclined to keep PAA-initiated pre-auth in the spec because it has some
potential use, it is harmless, removing it from spec is more work than
keeping it, and it comes for free due to its built-in nature to the base
spec. So, I don't see the benefit of removing it, or cost/complexity of
keeping it. Maybe I'm missing something.

Alper