Thanks Alan,

You are right that something strange is going on here.

I ran the aa.exe that "the.noonings" created, and it runs fine on my machine. Coupled with what you say below that my exe is crashing on your machine suggests something strange going on with my par install.

The original install was done after perl 5.8.2 was installed, and was either done using the precompiled download, or slightly possibly from the activestate download (I think the former though).

Now that I rebuilt 0.80 from source it doesn't crash, on my little test program, but more complicated stuff is failing, so I think I need to re-install all my perl modules (wxwindows, etc). Will report back after that.

Thanks everyone

Ed W

I see several things, but I can't put them together yet.

Your a.exe creates a temp cache dir with a short MD5 hash name, while mine creates a long SHA1 cache name. That implies that yours is created in the embedded par.pl, when mine is done in the static.c header.

Also, mine extracts stuff to an "inc" subdir of the cache, while yours does not.

If I run yours from the command line, it crashes the first time and every time. If I double click it, it runs the first time and then crashes every time after that. If I delete the cache and run it, it runs the first time and then crashes afterwards.

If I rename my "c:\perl" directory to hide it, your a.exe runs OK everytime ?!? The only way your a.exe can find my perl install is by the copy of Config.pm in a.exe. Both of our Config.pm's point to "c:\perl". There must be some conflict between the stuff in your PAR binary and the perl install we both have for 5.8.3.

You may find that you have no problem running your application on a machine that doesn't have perl installed (or at least not in c:\perl).

Or your problem may go away if you download the snapshot and compile yourself.

Alan Stewart