Sun Nov 04 12:46:19 2012: Request 13508 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by RSCHUPP
       Queue: PAR
     Subject: cannot find Glib.dll on win32, despite being packaged in the exe
   Broken in: (no value)
    Severity: (no value)
       Owner: Nobody
  Requestors: schm...@schmorp.de
 Ticket <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=13508 >

On 2012-10-31 21:33:13, mzhou wrote:
> We solved this problem for Biodiverse (http://biodiverse.googlecode.co)
> by patching PAR to extract DLLs with their original names instead of
> CRCs. I'm aware that names are much more likely to crash than CRCs, so
> perhaps an option embedded into the .exe when pp builds it could choose
> between whether to use name or CRC?

The last thing PAR or PAR::Packer needs is another option!
The correct solution is to stop extracting DLLs with CRC names
altogether. Recent versions of PAR::Packer will extract any DLL
with its full pathname anyway - except for the "embedded" ones
(cf. PAR::Tutorial) which are extracted in stage 2 of the bootstrap
of a packed executable. If this could be modified to use full
pathnames, too, the whole CRC names thing could be removed.
This would probably also remove the need for PAR to muck
with DynaLoader.

Cheers, Roderich