Wed May 07 08:21:31 2014: Request 95417 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by angan....@intel.com
       Queue: PAR-Packer
     Subject: RE: [rt.cpan.org #95417] Perl pp error: Seeking some info
   Broken in: (no value)
    Severity: (no value)
       Owner: Nobody
  Requestors: angan....@intel.com
 Ticket <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=95417 >

Roderich,

Thanks for the prompt response. Given below are my inline answers:

-----Original Message-----
From: Roderich Schupp via RT [mailto:bug-par-pac...@rt.cpan.org]
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 1:24 AM
To: Das, Angan

On 2014-05-06 16:51:45, angan....@intel.com<mailto:angan....@intel.com> wrote:
> The requirement it might have packages which might call other
> packages. But once compiled into a binary, it should be truly stand-
> alone: i.e., able to run from any 64-bit Unix terminal, without
> assuming any dependencies on Perl whatsoever.

Hi Angan,

PAR::Packer should fulfill that requirement :)

There's little information in your report to diagnose the problem.
Please answer the questions below:

- which operating system
Suse on SLES10 and SLES11 machines

- which version of Perl: please provide the output of
  "perl -v" and "perl -V"
/usr/bin/perl -v
This is perl, v5.8.8 built for x86_64-linux-thread-multi

- where did you get PAR::Packer from:
  - did you build it yourself (using "cpan" or similar)?
  - if yes, did you run the test suite and did it pass?
I tried to build it myself but then noticed its already installed in our
environment by the env-team. And so what it implies is its already installed
property and tested.
/usr/intel/pkgs/perl/5.14.1/bin/pp

- does the problem happen with a trivial script, e.g.

    $ pp -o hello.exe -e 'print "hello, world\n"'
    $ ./hello.exe
Yes and no both. I tried running it on a different setup (basically some shell
variables set) and it ran fine. I tried running it on a fresh xterm and it ran
fine. However, its failing in some particular xterm in some particular setup. I
am sure it would be a setup related problem. But I want to rootcause it or
narrow down the case.

Also, once compiled on Suse-64, will it run fine across all other OS-es –
Redhat, Ubuntu, etc.

- if not, please provide a minimal example

BTW, it's not necessary to explicitly CC any maintainers of the module - they
are subscribed to rt.cpan.org anyway.

Cheers, Roderich