Hi Evan!

On Fri, 29 May 2020 21:20:33 +0000
edowni...@protonmail.com wrote:

> I have not tried a newer version yet, but I will.
>
> This version (20161222) is what comes with Debian buster
> (https://packages.debian.org/buster/parallel). I suppose I was just assuming
> that Debian had the most up-to-date version of parallel (or at least close
> enough).
>
> Obviously I was wrong after examining https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/parallel/

Debian stable tends to have some old releases, so I'm not surprised. As the
upstream maintainer of several FOSS packages, I have mixed feelings about
Debian because while their packagers often provide me with quality patches or
pull-requests, they sometimes tend to delay packaging the new releases (even in
debian sid/unstable) for various reasons. See for instance:

* https://packages.debian.org/unstable/web/wml vs.
https://github.com/thewml/website-meta-language/releases

* https://packages.debian.org/source/sid/freecell-solver vs.
https://pkgs.org/download/freecell-solver

* https://packages.debian.org/sid/fortune-mod vs.
https://github.com/shlomif/fortune-mod/tags

Regards,

        Shlomi

--

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
Freecell Solver - https://fc-solve.shlomifish.org/

If you ask Taylor Swift "What is the square root of 18.678?", she will answer
"Why the hell does it matter?".
    — https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/facts/Taylor-Swift/