Hi all,

I have compiled a version of ParaView with osMesa enabled. The version is 5.1.2
for ParaView. I’m running the CxxFullExample Catalyst example that is located
in ParaView/Examples/Catalyst.

Operating system info

lsb_release –a:
LSB Version:         n/a

Distributor ID:     openSUSE project

Release:                13.2

Codename:           Harlequin

I have added 1 additional script to the Catalyst example by using the
“CoProcessing” button in ParaView to generate a Catalyst script that just
exports a .png of an isometric view of the geometry. When I run the example,
the operating system seems to freeze up completely in my login session i.e.
windows can not be clicked, nothing at all can be done with the exception of
moving the mouse around on the screen. It stays frozen like this for about 2
minutes before a window pops up that says “Paraview(batch)”. In the window is
the isometric view and the window updates to show the geometry at every
timestep that the example outputs an image at. The Catalyst script does seem to
execute fine and outputs image files for each frame that I requested, but it is
soooo slow for some reason.

Is this the expected behavior of running Catalyst with an osMesa build? I
thought that ‘os’ stood for ‘off-screen’, which I interpreted as there being no
screen display component to the rendering. Have I done something wrong with
compiling ParaView with osMesa? Is Catalyst supposed to completely lock up the
session until a window pops up?

I would love to hear from other users of Catalyst to hear about the experiences
of running Catalyst.

Thank you,

Chris Neal