Hi Weston,

> Is there any way I could render HEX9 exodusii data as as HEX8 data in
> paraview,  (ignoring the 9th node) or work with it directly?

Not without modifying the source. Have you built ParaView yourself or do you
install it from packages.

> HEX9 numbering:
> https://github.com/gsjaardema/seacas/blob/master/docs/topology/hex09.png
>
> It appears that Paraview reads the file as HEX8 but is reading the center
> node as part of one of the hexahedron's edges (see attached image)

It would help to have a small example file for us to test against. If you want
to experiment, you can edit VTK/IO/Exodus/vtkExodusIIReader.cxx around line
3237 (inside vtkExodusIIReaderPrivate::DetermineVtkCellType) and add

  else if ((elemType.substr(0,3) == "HEX") &&      (binfo.BdsPerEntry[0] == 9))
    { binfo.CellType=VTK_HEXAHEDRON;               binfo.PointsPerCell = 8; }

You can see that is what we do for 21-node hexes currently.

        David