good news:
programmable source/filter has a property called Parameters that lets you
pass in arbitrary values.
See an example of its use in the standard benchmark here:
https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/blob/master/
Wrapping/Python/paraview/benchmark/manyspheres.py#L168

bad news:
To my knowledge we have never exposed that property to the end user in the
Qt parts of the GUI. If someone can provide a good example of a qt plugin
or otherwise that exposes parameters to the end user, please advise on this
thread.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
Principal Engineer