Hi Cory,

thanks for that hint on the pvpyfilter. This tool is awesome and does exactly what I need it to do.

Cheers,
Arno

On 18/04/18 15:21, Cory Quammen wrote:

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 8:21 AM, David E DeMarle <dave.dema...@kitware.com <mailto:dave.dema...@kitware.com>> wrote:

    good news:
    programmable source/filter has a property called Parameters that
    lets you pass in arbitrary values.
    See an example of its use in the standard benchmark here:

https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/blob/master/Wrapping/Python/paraview/benchmark/manyspheres.py#L168

<https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/blob/master/Wrapping/Python/paraview/benchmark/manyspheres.py#L168>

    bad news:
    To my knowledge we have never exposed that property to the end
    user in the Qt parts of the GUI. If someone can provide a good
    example of a qt plugin or otherwise that exposes parameters to the
    end user, please advise on this thread.

You can do what is described in this blog post to package your programmable source nicely with modifiable attributes. See https://blog.kitware.com/easy-customization-of-the-paraview-python-programmable-filter-property-panel/ <https://blog.kitware.com/easy-customization-of-the-paraview-python-programmable-filter-property-panel/> for details (it is 5 years old, but still applicable to ParaView 5.5).

You may also be interested in this project by Shuhao Wu on GitHub: https://github.com/shuhaowu/pvpyfilter <https://github.com/shuhaowu/pvpyfilter>. I haven't used it yet, but it looks handy.

Thanks,
Cory

    David E DeMarle
    Kitware, Inc.
    Principal Engineer
    21 Corporate Drive
    Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
    Phone: 518-881-4909

    On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 4:41 AM, Arno Mayrhofer
    <arno.mayrho...@dcs-computing.com
    <mailto:arno.mayrho...@dcs-computing.com>> wrote:

        Hi all,

        I have made a small Programmable Filter that converts my input
        data. Now I have one parameter (resolution) that I would like
        to be modifiable by the user. My script currently looks as
        follows:

        resolution = 20 val ={'resolution': resolution, 'self': self}

        execfile('/path/to/filter.py', val)

        Ideally I want my users to not have to replace the 20 by
        whatever value they desire, but instead make a Custom Filter
        with either a text input field or a slider that will pipe its
        value to the Programmable Filter. Is something like this
        possible at all?

        Thanks in advance for your help,
        Arno