I think the TableToPoints filter is what you want.  There's a checkbox
where you can tell the data to be 2D that is below where you assign columns
to X, Y and Z coordinates.
What happens is that the x, y and z columns get removed from the table and
a new point type is generated (yes, Z will get removed even if you select
only 2D points), so either redundantly assign the Z column to one of your
first two columns (so, X Column and Z Column are both set to the 'x' or
first column, which will be harmless in this case), or select 'Keep All
Data Arrays' which will keep the columns values around for coloring.

Note that with 2D points, the Render View SHOULD go to '2D', but it
sometimes doesn't.  There's a '3D' in small text at the top of the render
view that will go to '2D' if you click it.  Then hit the 'Set View
Direction -Z' glyph in the top bar.

Play with the Point Size var to fill in the gaps.  And the mouse works
slightly differently in 2D, so you'll have to develop new muscle memory. :)

-David Ortley