SJ, the New and Returning user pattern is a very good application for this.

I’m not against multiple columns, and think it makes sense in case of many
inputs to fill in, specially if u can group the related ones.
My suggestion would be to align the labels above the inputs. This makes the
grid stronger and IMO is easier to map the fields.

Thanks,
Gabriel

Gabriel Cardoso
UX designer @ Red Hat