Peter,
Below is a script that I use in conjunction with the snowman's scripts.
You will need to put the scrip in the default scripts and edit the
default jkm to add a key stroke.
Script SFfindChannel ()
var
        string str

; check that we are running sound forge
; if not pass F8 through to the system
let str = GetAppTitle ()
if ( str != "Sony Sound Forge 7.0" ) then
        say ( "F8", OT_STATUS)
        {F8}
        return
endIf
; check that we are in a edit window
if ( GetWindowClass (GetFocus ()) != "ForgeDataClass" ) then
        say ( "Dummy you are not in a edit window", OT_STATUS )
        return
endIf
; go get text from the status line
let str = GetWindowText (GetNextWindow (GetParent (GetParent (GetFocus
()))), false)
; check to see if there is data in the edit window
if ( StringContains (str, "00:00:00.000" ) ) then
        say ( "You fuck up there is no data in the edit window",
OT_STATUS)
        return
endIf
; check the file to see that the file is stereo
if ( StringContains (str, "Mono")) then
        say (  "You fool this is a Mono file", OT_STATUS )
        return
endIf
; to tab or not to tab
; if no tab then the script will tell you what is selected right, left
or both channels
; if tab then the script will switch to next selection and tell you what
channel right, left or both
        TabKey ()
SpeechOff ()
;  go to the selection sub menu
{control+shift+d}
; select the  set channel menue
{alt+c}
pause ()
;find out what is active  right, left or both
let str = GetWindowText (GetFocus (), false)
; back to the edit window
{esc}
SpeechOn ()
; tell the user what channel is active