hi kris, the format for the commercial cd is cda. and yes you can change the format but i can't remember which programme to use.

cheers
tony

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kristine Hickerson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "pc-audio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 3:43 PM
Subject: CD Question

Hi all,

I'm somewhat inexperienced and uninformed about this stuff, and I think the
answer to my question is "no", but I'll ask it anyway.

Can you take a standard audio CD and convert it to mp3 format? If so, which
program works best for this? Also there are a number of different file
extensions but what is the file extension for a commercially purchased audio
CD?

With your help, I'll get up-to-speed on this stuff one of these days.  I
just don't have the time to spend on it that I would like to have.

Thanks much.

Kris Hickerson