Joanne I have had total recorder for 2 years and I love it.  I only have
the standard version.  I have it set up to record and convert to MP3 on
the fly.  You have to have the lame encoder in order for it to record and
convert to MP3.   Marty Rimpau is one person you should contact to give
you more assistance with total recorder.  And Debbie Cook can help you
also.  Once you get it installed and working, you'll love it.  Yes, you
can record from your sound card, as well as from the internet.  The
product is very blind friendly.
Hope this helps.
Take care,
Kevin