From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Jamie Pauls
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 8:12 AM
To: 'PC audio discussion list. '
Subject: The Good Old Days (Was Mp3 players)

TJ, I apologize if my comments annoyed you. I began using a computer in 1990
with a screen reader called ISOS, DOS 5.0, and Word Perfect 5.1 with 30
minutes of training on how to use a computer. Thank God for "Mastering Word
Perfect" available from what was then just plain old RFB on cassette, and a
Braille book on DOS 5.0 from NLS. I can remember many nights going to bed a
2 in the morning wondering of the $2500 I'd spent on a computer was a total
waste. I have absolutely no trouble today using Audible, iTunes, my iPod,
web-based e-mail when necessary, and Money Talks to balance my checkbook.
The blind community has come a long way in 15 years. If some scripts can
tell me that the Winamp equalizer is open, that I am listening to track 3 of
a CD, that the title is "Mary Had A Little Lamb" and that there is 1 minute
40 seconds remaining in the track, I'll take that and be grateful. If I have
to do a bit more work to  make a program work, I'm quite willing to do that.
I don't work for Freedom Scientific or anyone else who develops a screen
reader, but those guys and gals work their tails off. I think we should be
glad for what we have while striving to acquire even more. I'm sure this
thread will get quite a bit longer from here and I eagerly look forward to
the ride.