I have checked every single setting I can think, and a few other
places recommended to me by folks on this list, including the system
tray volume control, but the mic boost remains elusive. I am very
familiar with the location of the mic boost setting, as I had it on a
former PC and changed it myself. I don't think there is actually a
defect in the sound card. From the research I've done, many of these
low-cost, consumer-grade sound cards are more designed for listening
than recording, so the microphone jack is just basically put there as
an afterthought.  Mic volume seems to be a recurrent problem for many
people using these cards.  For example, the SB Live card I have is
more designed for home theater, so the surround sound is its claim to
fame, not its recording capability. .  In the amazon.com reviews,
three people said that mic volume was a problem, and one said they
wrote to Creative and was told that the Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit
External is really not designed for recording. I just thought all
Creative cards were good, but I know now that I should have gotten an
Audigy instead of the Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit External. I suppose
I'll try the battery-operated mic, and if that doesn't work, I'll
have to get an Audigy.