Are you using the recording level for the microphone and not the playback
level?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Lynn Schneider
Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2006 4:35 PM
To: pc-audio@pc-audio.org
Subject: Cannot get good microphone volume

I purchased a new PC a few months ago and, despite playing with the
settings in the Windows volume control, trying two sound cards and
multiple microphones, I cannot seem to get good enough volume without
a lot of hiss. I know I tend to be quite soft-spoken, but I didn't
have this problem on the old PC. I first tried the Realtek card that
came with my PC. It was fairly acceptible for playback, but I had the
low mic volume problem. I then bought a Creative 24-bit USB External
card (I went with that card because I figured it would be easy to
install since it was USB), installed it and updated the drivers, but
again, with trying multiple different brands of microphones, the mic
level was very low unless I cranked the Windows volume control way
up, in which case I had unacceptible hiss. It is interesting to me
that, despite having Advanced Controls checked, I cannot find a mic
boost option in my SB Live, but it does have a microphone volume
control wheel on the card itself, which only worsens the hiss if I
crank it up. I am using Sound Forge 8 on a Shuttle PC with 1 GB of
RAM, Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2, 3.00 gigahertz Intel
Pentium 4, and Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit External with the latest
drivers as of three days ago.  Aside from screaming into the
microphones, is there anything else I can do to kick up the volume,
preferably without having to break the bank? The research I've done
shows that the Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit External is not a good card
for recording, but I would prefer to stick with a USB sound card
because I don't know how to install an internal card. However, I will
go with an internal card and pay someone to install it if that is
necessary. I tried a Logitech USB microphone which does work quite
nicely, but I cannot get Jaws to come through my recordings, and for
some crazy reason, my PC reboots spontaneously after having it
connected for more than 15 minutes, even if I'm not using it. With
all the microphones I have tried, I could probably create my own
electronics store on Ebay.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

This list is a service of MosenExplosion.com. To see what other lists we