Apparently I don't understand the purpose of normalizing. I was under the
impression that by using normalize under the processing menu in Sound Forge,
one could average out the volume of a selected portion or an entire file.
I've made a recording first speaking softly then raising my voice then
lowering it again. I then experimented with a number of normalize controls
but can't determine how to make the recording's volume to even out. All I
manage to do is increase the overall volume of the recording.

Frankly, I'm not sure that a question such as this should be discussed on
this list, but if not, is there a more appropriate list to which this
question should be addressed?

Thanks,
Tony B. Swartz