Hi Gary

Typically Rockbox works great, but the problem is it's really hard to
find some of the players because once they're off the market, they're
off for good. You can go to the Rockbox site and see what players it
supports, and if you want one, you may have to go the Ebay route. and
some people would rather not do that.  The advantage to the Zen Stone
is it requires no sight, and it's very current, you can still get
one. It only has a gig of storage but that may be enough for you, I'm not sure.
You're gonna need some kind of adapter device or patch cord to hook
it into the car or your stereo but that's easy to do. I'd really go
for the Zen. Creative really did it right with this one.