>From Melton Victoria Australia
Phone: +613 9747 3975
Fax: +613 9743 7954
Mobile: +61 418 773 532
Email and Messenger: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
skype: grtdane12

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Chris Skarstad
Sent: Monday, 5 November 2007 12:30 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; pc-audio@pc-audio.org
Subject: Winamp 5.35 and external sound card won't play nice together

                Hi folks
I'm posting this question to multiple lists in hopes I can get a
somewhat quick answer. I've got someone who has written to me
privately off list who just got an external sound card, it's a SB live!
She's using a laptop with a signatel soundcard,  yeah not the best
but these laptops have never had good sound cards for things.
What she would like to do is separate things, so her window-eyes
software speech goes on one card, and the music from Winamp goes to
the other.  She wants to learn how to broadcast, and we've got
everything together but this issue came up yesterday and I haven't
been able to figure out what in hell is going on.
I spent a couple hours with her on the phone and msn trying to get
this to work but without much success. Even though everything is
plugged in properly, the SB Live card simply will not work, and we
can't figure out why. One of her room mates has a very similar card,
and he was able to use it without installing the software for it, and
when he did it required a working pare of eyes which isn't easy to
come by there. I'm just wondering if the card that's not working
actually might require the software to work whereas the other one
didn't seem to?  Also,I'm wondering which card should handle which
thing, would the internal sound card handle the software speech
better tthan it would music, remember this is for broadcasting
purposes so she wants the broadcast to sound as good as it can.  I've
done everything I can think of, and I am stumped.  So, I'm wondering
if any of you folks have any ideas?  Just for specific's sake, She's
using Winamp 5.35 and the Nullsoft waveout plugin for her music
output, and in the configuration for that plugin, she has Winamp
pointed to her SB Live external card, which as I said at the
beginning, doesn't work at all.  She hears her speech fine because
that's on her regular internal card for the laptop, but no music. Is
there something we're doing wrong, or is it possible that her laptop
and that particular external card just aren't compadible for some
crazy reason or another?

I hope what I'm asking makes some sense here, so if anyone can give
some tips, I'd be greatful!
Thanks!
Chris