Hi Scott,

I'll try to answer as much of this as I can considering I do this style of
backup all the time. I took each of the questions you have and the answers
are right beneath.  So pardon the length of this gang and please feel free
to weigh in if I've missed anything.

1. Can dvd-r discs be used to store mp3 and other compresse media such as
WMA? If so, is the process for burning, if that is the correct term, the
same as burning a cd? For example, can I copy/paste or send items to the dvd
drive on my pc, then perform a standard data burn via Windows Media?

Answer:

There are two answers here.  First, Yes burning is the correct term, and you
can save audio files such as MP3's on them just like you would a data CD.

As for the second question here.  No, you cannot use windows media player to
burn DVD'S  unless you're running vissta and that's a whole different kettle
of fish.  You can get a program called deep burner which is a free
rom-burning tool for the procedure. Go to http://www.deepburner.com to grab
it.  It's totally accessible and very screen reader friendly.  I use it when
I don't feel like using nero.  Grins. If you get the program just e-mail me
offlist and I will help you with the burning procedure.  It's no problem.

2. Once I've gotten the mp3/WMA files onto the dvd-r disc, regardless of the
method, can this disc then be played back in most dvd players, including
video dvd players folks use in conjunction with their televisions? I realize
there will be exceptions, but if there is a general rule/answer to this
question, I would love to be enlightened. Also, if I have stored a large
number of files, contained in multiple folders on this dvd, will a person
using a video dvd player be able to view the names of those folders and
their files?

Answer: On this one, I'm not totally however, I believe so, DVD rom-players
can play just about anything that you stick in them.  Audio or video.  So
that should not be a problem, and a person with sight should be able to see
what's on it.  If anyone wants to weigh in on this, please do.

3. Amazon is offering a spindle of 100 dvd-r discs made by TDK for $26. Does
this seem a good bargain?

Answer: It's not a bad deal at all. I may consider buying them from there
myself.  Thanks for that tip.

Hopefully I was able to help.

Tony
Forgive my ignorance on this topic, but I'm just now considering the
purchase of dvd-r discs for some of my storage/personal needs. I realize
however, that I know very little about the technology. Here are my
questions:

[...]

Thanks all,
Scott