Mike has provided an excellent framework for a comparison between Total
Recorder and Replay A/V.  I'll intersperse comments after his features,
which are unquestioned plusses for Replay A/v.
 (1)  ability to record a stream prior to its reaching the sound card.
This is the biggie; Total Recorder doesn't do it, and it is this that allows
Replay A/V to work in Vista as well as it works in xp, whereas Total
Recorder worksin Vista, but even with Window-Eyes and its ability to select
sound cards, not as well as it did in xp.

(2)  ability to record multiple streams simultaneiously and on a recurring
schedule.
Both products will do this.

(3)  A feature allowing one to use RAV both as a recorder and a radio
tuner independently and simultaneously.
I don't think TR can do this.

(4)  An url finder feature allowing one to uncover stream urls that are
often embedded in complex urls.  To me, this would be well worth the $50
or so price tag for the product.

Another plus for Replay; Total Recorder has such a reature but I haven't
found it to be very accessible.

(5)  A built-in file converter which can be set to automatically convert
recorded streams into the desired media format.
Both programs can do this.

(6)  An easy to use interface which follows conventional Windows menu
structure.
Both are strong here.

(7)  Each scheduled entry can be individually managed for file conversion,
how long recordings are maintained, and with the ability to edit tags.
Again, both are good.

(8)  A wide variety of general program settings including the
customization of names of created files.  These general settings include
the ability to determine how the program will handle stream interruptions
and how many times to attempt reconnects.
Again, both are good
Additional thoughts: I just prefer Total Recorder, if it would work, but it
won't with Vista.  I find, on an xp system, I have fewer problems with
Replay A/V recordings.

Mike says he uses another program sometimes because Replay can't bring the
computer out of hibernation.  I regularly have Replay A/V bring the computer
out of hibernation to make a recording.

Total Recorder has some other recording features and some avail add-ons, but
at this point, I would not buy it unless you know you'll never migrate to
Vista.  Replay A/V solves one of Vista's biggest disadvantages, that being
its crippled recording features.

Dean