That's what I was talking about, too. I, too, can hear a difference in the sound quality between, for example, Winamp and WMP, even when each has its equalizer disabled. In fact, that is how I habitually use them -- with equalizer disabled.

But, perhaps, the difference both your friend and I can hear has nothing to do with the technical quality of either player. Perhaps, each could be made to sound like the other, if its equalizer were enabled and sufficiently tweaked.

But, since we prefer the sound quality that Winamp produces sans equalizer, why bother with tweaking WMP or Realplayer, to sound like Winamp. It makes more sense just to use Winamp sans equalizer. ----- Original Message ----- From: "André van Deventer" <andred...@webafrica.org.za>
To: "'PC Audio Discussion List'" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 28, 2008 2:31 AM
Subject: RE: Does the sound quality of different software media players differ?

Hi all

Perhaps I have not explained myself properly.

What I am thinking about is the sound quality of a player without using any
kind of equalisation at all.  The kind of sound setup I have does not need
any kind of equalization.

A friend of mine said that she can hear a difference in sound quality
between winamp and media player with the equalizer disabled  in both
players.