I take it from this that Winamp will play these files directly, if one has installed the plug-in mentioned below; even as Winamp plays .flac files, with the appropriate plug-in installed. Anybody know anything to the contrary?

Thanks.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dana S. Leslie" <dsles...@alumni.princeton.edu>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2009 9:23 PM
Subject: Re: .wv files?

Thank you!
----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Chaltain" <cchalt...@austin.rr.com>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2009 8:30 PM

I haven't encountered this file extension myself, but a quick trip to Google.com lead to http://www.fileinfo.net/extension/wv where it says:

File Type  WavPack Audio File Category
Audio Files Common?
No File Description
Audio file compressed using WavPack Hybrid Lossless Compression; because WavPack files use
lossless
compression, they do not lose any quality from the original version; the compression ratio is typically between 30% and 70%.

WavPack compression supports mono, stereo, and multichannel audio; it is compatible with most PCM audio formats including 8, 16, 24, and 32-bit recordings, and supports sampling rates from 6 to 192 kHz. Program(s) that open wv files
Mac OS
WavPack for Mac OS X
Cog Audio Player
Max Audio Format Converter
Windows
WavPack Win32
Foobar2000 Advanced Audio Player
VUPlayer Audio Player
Reaper Multitrack Audio Recorder and Editor
Adobe Audition with plugin
NullSoft Winamp with plugin
Steinberg WaveLab Audio Editor with plugin
Linux
WavPack for Linux
Aqualung
Audacious Media Player
XMMS with plugin
Dana S. Leslie wrote:
I just downloaded a bit torrent.
The files I received all seem to be in a packer format with a .wv extension. What program do I need to open these?

Thanks.

Blessed Be, Namaste,

Dana
that's Dana, D A N A, NOT Donna, D O N N A
If your synthesizer pronounces them identically, instruct your customized pronunciation dictionary that Dana=dayna.

D. S. Leslie, née C. R. Guttman
Email: dsles...@alumni.princeton.edu
Skype: dsleslie
Web: ÞE OL' PHILOSOPHIE SHOPPE