To: "pc-audio" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 4:22 AM
Subject: Streaming Audio to a Non-Networked Device

I'm always after a better solution to my same old problem of streaming
Internet audio to a non-Internet device, such as my living-room
entertainment center, or my bedside radio.  I'm so disgusted with the
FM transmitter thing because of all the metal studs in my walls, I'm
once again looking at something I can use with my wireless router, put
it anywhere, and plug it up to an audio device as described above.  A
Media Center PC might be a good alternative, but are they under $500
yet?  The $500 price point is based on the price of a rather
interesting piece of gear from Logitech that will do the job and even
allow direct access to one's own media library, but of course it's
hopelessly inaccessible by a totally blind person.  The Media Center
PC, however, could be made accessible simply by installing a
screenreader on it, even if it's Narrator or one of the free ones out
there--we're not doing rocket science projects on it, we're just
picking music and playing it, so it won't matter how good the
screenreader is or isn't.  Like I said, even Narrator'll do for this
purpose!  And for your five portraits of Mr. Franklin, you get a real
computer to boot!

Has anybody had any experience with any of these streaming products
like the Logitech one?  Or is it your considered opinion to go the PC
or cheap Mac route?

Thanks in advance.