Hi. I have tried both actually. Total Recorder didn't work very well for me, and and I'm a huge pfan of Replay A/v, but I find that when I record using either of those programs my computer slows to a crawl and it's impossible to get anything done. I'm only working on a gig of ram here and this laptop is about 2 years old so it's not the newest thing around. Good idea though.

At 06:18 PM 5/8/2009, you wrote:
Hi Chris have you tried software that emulate the what you hear affect? Total Recorder and Replay A/V are examples. They're both shareware but are certainly fully accessible and probaby worth the few bucks they cost. They emulate the affect by installing or using a virtual sound card that digitally captures the output, so you don't get any loss of quality in the recording.

--
Chris Hallsworth
E-mail: christopher...@googlemail.com
MSN: ch9...@hotmail.com
Skype: chrishallsworth7266
----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Skarstad" <toonhe...@verizon.net>
To: <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Friday, May 08, 2009 9:12 PM
Subject: new sound card for my laptop

Hi folks
This should be pretty simple but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I have an Asus laptop and it currently has one of the usual Sigmatel cards, ok for listening to stuff, but not for recording from external sources. I'm using XP service pack 3, by the way.

Since I have a laptop and space is farely limited, I'm looking for a sound card, hopefully something from either Creative or Turtle Beach that'll let me use something along the lines of the what u hear option to record from an external source, or if I want to record sspeech along with my voice if I'm recording a demo of a peace of software or a game. I'd like for it to be USB, if possible.

There are so many cards out there, and I just want to pick the one that is easiest to install and get running and doesn't require a lot of guess work. I'm in a place where there aren't a lot of people who have working eyes so I'm trying to keep this farely simple. I don't mind installing software from a CD, but if there are going to be any hoops I'm going to need to jump through to get it installed, I'd appreciate any tips. Hope someone can help a bit?
Thanks.

Chris

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4063 (20090508) __________

http://www.eset.com