Hi.
No, the card itself does not have any USB ports on it, you have to use the provided USB cable with it. As for a PCI card? I'm really not sure but I'm thinking either Turtle Beach or Creative will have a card that will do that for you. In another e-mail, you asked about it driving the internal sound card, and I don't think it will. If you want your software speech to come out of your internal card in your computer, what I did was I bought an extra set of speakers and plugged them into the laptop, and I set Window-eyes so that it comes out of the sigmatel card. All other sounds are routed to my Audio Advantage. So right now, my laptop's internal Sigmatel card handles software speech, and everything else goes through the audio advantage. I hope that makes sense?
Thanks.

At 10:04 AM 5/16/2009, you wrote:
Thanks Chris.

So, this card does not plug directly into the USB port on your lap top
right?

I was hopeing to find a solution that would not involve having another USB
cable hanging from my Dell.

Any thoughts on a good PCI sound card for an XPS1210?

Cheers!
----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Skarstad" <toonhe...@verizon.net>
To: <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2009 11:51 PM
Subject: my initial impressions of the turtle Beach Audio Advantage SRM

A while ago, I had asked about buying an external sound card, and I
eventually chose the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage SRM.
This card is tiny, weighing in only  a few ounces, and it kind of
looks like a cigarette lighter at first glance.
It has 4 audio jacks 2 on each end of the card, the ones I've paid
the most attention to are the microphone, and the headphone jack,
which are on the same end.

This card also sports 2 stereo mics, a green LED light that blinks
when audio is present, and stays solid when none is playing.  So if
you have some usable sight this might take a bit of getting used to.

I have a set of speakers hooked up to the card which handles my music
and windows sounds, and I have Window-eyes 7.01 routed to my laptop's
internal Sigmatel card.  So I now have 2 sets of speakers instead of
one.    This allows me to have more control over the volume of each one.
I have 2 volume controls to use now, but if I want to hear the speech
over the music more, it's easier for me, because I can keep the music
at the same level now.

As far as instalation goes, I had another friend of mine helping me,
and we learned a somewhat valuable lesson that I'm sure most people
probably know either through just being technically savvy, or having
the same experience we had.  If you're going to install this card, be
sure to hook the card *directly* into your laptop or desktop's USB
ports, do not use a USB hub. If you do, the driver's won't install
properly, because the card can't draw enough power.  The card is
recognized, but not to the same point as it would be via a regular
straight USB connection.  So make sure you have a free USB port handy.
    To install it, we first inserted the cd that came with the
card.  If you're using window-eyes, you'll have to use your mouse
pointer, numpad plus pressed twice, and then you use your numpad 2
and 8 keys to arrow down to where it says setup.  At that point,
press your left mouse button and the software will install.  Then,
when prompted, please insert the cable into the card, and the other
end into the USB port.

You may lose speech after pressing yes at this point, but this can be
fixed.  It's a good bet that the card is now active, so what you'll
need to do is plug a pare of headphones or speakers into the
headphone jack. If you hear speech, you're good to go.  The headphone
jack is located on the top right handside of the card, you'll feel a
circular sort of socket or plug with ridges, and just to the right of
that, that's your headphone jack.  The jack to the left of that one
is your microphone jack.  When you plug a headset mic or any other
mic into that jack, the stereo mics on the card itself are muted, so
for the least confusing results, I would say you might want to have
something plugged into that jack all the time.

Initially, the software tried to install the necessary driver for the
card to function properly, but I had to reboot a couple of times to
get the process to work properly. Hey, I'm new to this and it was a
learning experience.  So the driver installed and all, at this point,
seems to be working well.  As for the SRM control pannel  program, it
is definitely not very speech friendly, not without a lot of mousing
around. and even then, some of the screens look mighty
confusing.  So  the best way to customize things is to probably stick
to using the regular Windows volume control.  That will allow ou to
set things how you want them.  Overall, I'm very pleased with the
card!  The install was a bit touch and go because, as I said we
weren't sure why things weren't working but after I remembered that I
had been using a hub, and I plugged the card directly into my laptop
USB port, that's when things vastly improoved.  Hope this helps
anyone looking to buy a card like this. Hopefully it'll help you
avoid any pitfalls along the way and you'll have your new card up and
running in ono time!

database 4080 (20090515) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4080 (20090515) __________