Okay, I've been playing with Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio 9 and Goldwave and
here are my notes concerning both and I tackle the hard question first.

Which should you buy? No doubt about the answer to that hard question, save
spend the same money whatever you buy but you're certainly going to get far
better value for that $60.00 or so if you purchase Goldwave.  Many of the
plug-ins Sound Forge Audio Studio requires you to pay extra for are already
built-in to Goldwave and we're not talking say a couple or a few dollars for
plug-ins here, we're talking about plug-ins that are almost worth half the
price of the original Sound Forge application! A case in point is the MPG
plug-in to allow you to access the audio of these video files, Goldwave uses
what Windows Media provides here which makes perfect sense!

Next is the fact that Goldwave is known to be far more accessible than Sound
Forge Audio Studio is - even if you're not running scripts for the software -.

The "Getting started" page of Sound Forge Audio Studio - whilst very welcome!
is no substitute for the HTML online manual provided with Goldwave.

I think I've made my point so please feel free to comment if you like but I
don't think I'm missing anything.

******************************

Dane Trethowan
>From Melton Victoria Australia