To: <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2010 2:57 PM
Subject: Olypus DM550: Unknown Device error - unable to edit files

I wonder if anyone here has an answer, even more a solution to this?

I loned my Olypus DM550 out to someone to record some voice clips along with a
dynamic microphone to improve recording quality.

The recordings play fine on the recorder itself, and on transfering the file to my PC the files played in Winamp. the problems began when I tried to edit the files in Sound Forge 7. the file will not play at all in SF7; a message pops up "unknown device". Editing is impossible too. I then loaded the files into Goldwave. No message but no ability to highlight the file to copy and paste into another program. Converting the file to .wav in Goldwave has made no difference.

The Olypus recorder in question was set to .mp3 192kbs. The transfer was via USB,
of course.

So, any ideas what gives here? It is perplexing to say the least. I did copy the file by kplaying it in Winamp and recording into Sound Forge, but just as well the recordings were very short. Would hate to have to do that with a long recording,
not to mention degredation of sound quality.

Any answers or pointers very welcome.

Thanks.
Ray