Hi Don,

There's a free version of burnaware which can be used for non-comercial use.
It's a cd/dvd burning program, and it includes the option to display disk info.

You can download the program from the page:
http://www.burnaware.com/downloads.html
There are three "download now" links on this page, and the first one is for the
free version. When you install it, it tries to install the yahoo toolbar unless
you uncheck something.

After opening the program:
1. on the compilation menu, open the utilities sub menu and choose disk info.
2. A disk info window opens. In this window, there's a disk information tab
which contains a list view which contains various properties, including the
type
of the disk.

David.