Hi Jason,
I replied to David with the following message that will give your thoughts validation. Thanks for the response.

Hi David,
I had sighted assistance for this one as the Acer site is tough. According to their web site, the Win/7 drivers are not avavailable for my machine (model M1610) I even downloaded the Real Tech drivers, from Real Tech, and installed them. The end product was that it made the crackling worse, so back to the drivers that Win/7 installed from Microsoft. I have only 1 alternative left....a new sound card. Is there a sound card that is any better than the other that you might recommend? Something from the Creative Labs people?
Thanks,
Morey Worthington