To me, listening to music in surround sound doesn't sound simulated at all.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dane Trethowan" <grtd...@internode.on.net>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Monday, May 26, 2014 6:58 PM
Subject: Re: listen to music in surround sound

If you like listening to music through a surround-sound system with a DSP effect then fine! and you're underlining the point that an audiophile is making, you're listening to music in a way that wasn't normally intended for it to be listened to so the argument then goes that - because of the extra artificial effect applied by the DSP - you're not able to fully appreciate the purity of the music, quality of the music etc that you would otherwise experience from a better quality 2 channel system.

There are exceptions to the rule of course and I'm talking here of quad recordings or SACD etc but again these are not very common and aren't in mainstream music recordings, you don't see Quad FM nowadays or you don't see SACD recordings in large numbers at your local record shops.