Exactly and that's where the external DAC comes into its own, on the one I have you can make adjustments to match the headphones or the amp you're using.

On 22/04/2015 8:57 PM, André van Deventer wrote:
Using a headphone out socket on any device will also seriously degrade the
sound quality as the impedence between the input of the amplifier and the
headphone output differs greatly.  The inputs on  an amplifier are high
impedence while the headphone socket has a much lower output  which causes
an impedence mismatch.
Also you are limited by the audio quality of the specific headphone
amplifier.  The digital to audio converter is not the only factor here.

That is why you will always get better quality with a proper high impedence
line out output than using a headphone socket.

-----Original Message-----
From: Pc-audio [mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org] On Behalf Of Dane
Trethowan
Sent: 22 April 2015 12:30 PM
To: PC Audio Discussion List
Subject: Re: lossless streaming via bluetooth

Yes, the link between devices is a lossless digital one.  Problem is that
the signal will be somewhat degraded by the DAC - Digital To Analoge
Converter - in the iPhone but we've being a little picky here and there's
probably not all that much you can do about it unless you're prepared to
spend the extra money on an external DAC unit for your iPhone that plugs
into the dock connector, they're not all that expensive, I bought one for my
iPhone some time ago, cost $30.

On the other hand the Samsung Note4 Android phone have better quality DAC'S
so you can fully appreciate the sound when you're streaming to the phone
using AirPlay or DLNA, or just playing files from the phone's memory or an
SD card etc.