To: "'PC Audio Discussion List'" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 20, 2016 4:08 PM
Subject: RE: Desktop computer speakers

Hi Andy,
That's a thought which I'll have to ponder some more. I know desktop speakers for PC are nearly always rubbish but the ones Dane linked to are an exception. But a separate amp or receiver for my PC is a possibility.

My PC is in a den too as my wife banned PCs from the living room so instead I've got a high end set up in the Livingroom similar to yours minus the PC.

Believe it or not in my PC room/den I used to have 2 PCs with 2 sound cards each going through a sound mixer and then output through an amplifier and stereo speakers. That was in the days when I used to broadcast on internet radio. The 2nd PC was a backup for when things went wrong with my main machine which sometimes happened. Anyway, I've simplified things since then getting rid of redundant equipment. I now have one of the few self-amplified 5.1 systems that can plug into a sound card without an amplifier. I also use a splitter to a little transmitter that lets me use the old-style wireless headphones and portable speakers so I can have audio from my PC in other rooms. The Logitec Z5500 5.1 speakers sound reasonable for their price and age but as they're quite elderly I want something better.

I was hoping to keep it simple but if I wanted to keep a 5.1 set up in my PC den you are probably right and I would have to think about an amp or receiver. It would also allow me to get the best out of my small collection of PC-based HD recordings. To be honest though although it's nice having the ability of outputting music in a 5.1 virtual mix like Dolby PL2 I spend less time than I used to doing that and I usually go to the living room for movies in surround sound, so maybe a good stereo speaker set up would do.

I've used the external Sound Blaster USB X-Fi in the past. I've always liked the Creative Sound Blaster range and their latest top card is an internal one called the ZX. I use it and it's great! The reason I gave up the external card was it could only handle 5.1 if it was compressed to a lower bitrate. I think when USB3 becomes standard with HDMI out this will no longer be an issue for external cards. Optical toslink connections inherently can't handle 5.1 channels without reducing the sound quality. They are fine for stereo though.

Anyway, I'll definitely consider the configuration you suggest. I'm even thinking of testing a Sonos Connect (which lives in the Livingroom system) as an experiment and connecting it to my PC. It has a line in as well as out and therefore could carry audio from my PC simultaneously to my room speakers and to the Sonos speakers in my bedroom. If it was successful I could add Sonos speakers elsewhere in the house. It has the added bonus of letting me use Apple Music and Amazon Prime music and controlling it from an iPhone app. I haven't thought this through properly so I'm going to experiment to see if there are any snags.

Cheers

John