Hi Casey
Yes, you can get the ZX today for £99 but I just realised that mine is the ZXR
which unfortunately Creative are selling for £199, but I think you can get it
elsewhere much cheaper.

The difference is that the ZX is really for gaming and uses a pretty good
Cirrus Logic DAC for all channels. However, the ZXR uses the same DAC rear and
centre but for front stereo it uses a high end Burr-Brown DAC. Also as it is
aimed at audiophiles and those interested in studio level recording it has a
daughter board (which sports another set of audio inputs/outputs) that takes up
an additional slot in the PC. It also has a small module with audio cable that
allows it to be placed round the front of the PC with a volume control,
built-in mike, a couple of headphone jacks and microphone jacks. So you get a
lot of hardware for your bucks and it's debatable if you would use it all if
you simply want to listen to music which to be honest is what I mostly do with
it. There is no question that for outputting surround sound from a PC using
analogue connections it is very good indeed. It can also drive headphones of up
to 600 ohm. You could probably get away with something much cheaper if all you
want to do is digital pass through.

As for the other part of your query, the software control panel is mostly
accessible - at least for the parts I use with Jaws. There are a couple of
unlabelled controls and buttons but all of the audio processing effects and DSP
effects can be adjusted. A separate app for setting up speaker configuration is
tricky but not impossible. I tend to use the Windows set up wizard when I want
to, say, change from 5.1 to 2.0 speaker configuration.

Regards

John