Regarding the microphones? I've never heard that before.

The USB is simple, when the power is off and the Zoom H1 is connected to the computer then the Zoom H1 acts as a storage device enabling you to transfer files from the Zoom H1 to your computer and vica versa.

When power is on and the Zoom H1 is connected to a computer the computer powers the Zoom H1 which can be most useful.

Be sure that your H1 has the most recent software update applied which enables some new features and fixes some bugs, one was really nasty - if the battery went flat whilst recording then part of your recording would wander into space -, the problem is fixed so that everything is written to SD card until the point when power is interrupted.

Listen to Neil's review, he talks about a few tips and tricks which you'll find useful.