Hi Craig,

Yeah, this is good news.

The new system went live on Tuesday.
Hopefully this should see an end to the "ERROR 500" problems that pca users where sporadically hitting for a long time now.

I have been monitoring the new service since it has gone live and it really does seem to be highly reliable so far.

One key point to note is that there will be a delay of up to 8 hours for wget users after they associate a new contract with their SOA (via the "Edit Contract" link) on SunSolve.
This is detailed in the Technical Instruction document for wget users - http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-9-240066-1.
(It is however expected that the advertised 8 hour delay, should behave closer to a one hour delay in practice.)

There is one other important point for pca users registered in the Members Support Center from this document:
"For users registering or updating contracts on the Member Support Center, an initial wget access must be attempted to trigger the synchronization process."

I believe that the new download service will make a massive difference to pca users with the huge reliability improvements it brings.

Best,
-Don

Craig Bell wrote:
It looks as if Sun is working to address some of our concerns with
downloading patches:

http://blogs.sun.com/miriamsblog/entry/sunsolve_7_3_is_live

Amongst the touted enhancements in v7.3, they mention improved patch
downloading:

Customer have been experiencing breaks in downloading of patches where

the back end systems have gone off line and the download was stopped.

This has now been addressed by using a new download service.

There are more details in the blog post.  Thx... -cheers, CSB