Hi Olivier,

A couple of the authors have been discussing this and playing with possible
approaches.

The first thing to note is that DSCP is one of the flowspec types inherited
from BGP, so that function is available for classifying the traffic that is
placed on an LSP. Thus it is possible to associate a tunnel to a particular
class of service.

We should also note that, while the class of service of an LSP can be specified
in the PCReq and PCInitiate messages as you say, it does not follow that there
is a simple relationship between the overlay and underlay classes of service.
For example, the bronze traffic from a platinum customer may be assigned better
treatment than the gold traffic from a bronze customer. Thus it is better to
use the flowspecs, and not a simple inheritance bit.

The second point you raise is about rate limiting, or maybe we should call it
policing. When an LSP is set up, bandwidth is assigned within the network; you
are asking, we think, whether we can add a control for whether the traffic
should be limited to that assigned bandwidth or not.

Actually, we think the situation is more complicated:
- Multiple flowspecs may be applied to a single LSP making it confusing how to
  apply your proposed single bit
- The amount of traffic applied to an LSP may range from some amount of
   undersubscription to some amount of deliberate over-subscription

Furthermore, we think that the subscription rate is probably a quality of the
LSP itself rather than specific to the flowspec. We'd like to propose,
therefore, that we define a new parameter for the PCEP messages that would be a
Policing TLV (possibly in a new object or possibly in an existing object - that
needs to be though about) that carries the percentage that the LSP should be
loaded (range 0 to 200% ?).

If you're agreeable to that, we think it would be worth documenting that
feature in a new draft.

Thanks,
Adrian

PS. With regard to your other email, yes, we thing that the AFI is needed. This
would not have been the case if IDR had kept to a single registry for all
flowspec types and had created entries for both v4 and 46, but they have
decided have two registries that have overlapping values initially but that may
diverge over time.