Hi Julien, PCE WG

New version -07[1] has been posted to address the review feedback. Thanks once
again for the review and Shepherding this.

>>>"Any reason why the case above doesn't include the legacy situation,
>>>similarly to the case below (i.e. "but MAY consider protection eligibility
>>>as a PROTECTION MANDATORY constraint")?"

Good question. At the time of the original text the core intention was to clear
up interop behavior differences when L=1, in addition to introducing the E flag
as the strictness toggle, as that was key impacting interop problem.  In other
words, the E=1 specifically was to influence the behavior when L=1 or when L=0,
and introduce strong enforcement when E=1. When L=0, E=0, the significance on
interop and implementation isn't as impacting. If we allow backwards
compatibility of L=1, E=0, by permitting "protection mandatory", that would
continue to result in different interop implementations of (L=1) which is
something the core of the document wanted to correct. The text on L=0, E=0 is
trying to play nice with existing known implementations, since the impact in
that scenario (the resulting path calculation) wasn't significant. Essentially
it's a flag combination which is considered okay to provide backwards interop
for in the text.

Thanks
Andrew

[1]