Hi again, Dhruv.

Still not pushing this idea, but still trying to make sure it is correctly
understood….

Of course an (unpopular) option would be to tell the PCE WG that it is not
acceptable to use the RSVP-TE registries in this way, and let them know that
if they want to specify paths for other uses they should use a new PCEP ERO
and RRO Object-Type and a new registry of subobjects. In many ways, that
would be so much cleaner, but it would break RFC 8664 implementations.

Dhruv: (also addressing Huaimo), to me this is a bit overkill. We would need to
update a lot of documents.

Of course if the situation changes nothing would stop us from moving in this
direction in future, but I dont think we are there yet!

[AF] I don’t believe “a lot of documents” would need to be updated.

You wouldn’t be changing the fact that it is an ERO. You’d keep the same Object
Class value. You’d just be changing the Object Type used in the case of SR.

So none of the legacy documents that refer to the inclusion of an ERO would
change.

AFAICS it would be just 8664 that would be changed.

Dhruv: I misunderstood then! You were suggesting that the subobjects shared by
PCEP and RSVP-TE still remain in the old registry and subobjects only used in
PCEP go into a brand new registry! Hmmm.... But ERO could have subobjects from
both registries and that would make it weird. That is why I thought we were
suggesting a fresh new PCEP registry for all subobjects used in PCEP.

I kinda still feel its overkill :)

[AF2] Yes, but going a step further.

The PCEP objects have two identifier fields (just like RSVP): the Object-Class
and the Object-Type.

The Object-Class identifies the sort of object. Thus, ERO = 7, RRO = 8.

The Object-Type indicates the type of use that the object is put to. There are
15 values available.

In general, PCEP objects all use Object-Type = 1.

But some objects (such as END-POINTS and BANDWIDTH) have a small number of
Object-Types available.

The Object-Type says “I know what sort of object I am handling and what it is
for, but I need more information to understand the encoding and use case.”

So, my suggestion was to use Object-Class=7, Object-Type=1 for G/MPLS LSP EROs
(signaled or manually provisioned), and Object-Class=7, Object-Type=2 for SR
paths.

(You could even go Object-Type=2 for SR-MPLS and Object-Type=3 for SRv6.
Further, since RFC 8664 is already published, we could leave SR-MPLS alone, and
just go straight to Object-Type=3 for SRv6 in this document.)

The subobjects for Object-Type != 3 are those defined in this document: namely
SR-ERO. And they could come from a new registry.

This would have no impact on the existing EROs and so no changes to the
existing registry.

Cheers,

Adrian