Hi,

currently PCRE character tables can only hold lowercase / flipped case and
various type bits for the first 256 characters. Supporting the whole 64K
character set in 16 bit mode would take 409600 bytes of memory, which is less
than half megabyte. Today, even smartphones can afford that cost. The trade-of
would be that the same tables could not be used in 8/16/32 bit modes anymore,
since the lowercase / flipped case tables would depend on the natural character
length. Hence a table with only 256 characters would be bigger in 16/32 bit
mode than now. (Note: the table size would always be divisible by 256. This
would allow not to change anything in 8 bit mode, but we could also support
character sets which does not have 64K characters in 16 bit and especially in
32 bit mode, where we have 4096M characters).

I am sure we cannot do this for 8.34 (this is not an easy task), but if this is
important for many people, we might think about this later.

Regards,
Zoltan