On 2019-08-08 16:59, ph10 wrote:
On Sat, 3 Aug 2019, ND via Pcre-dev wrote:
May be it can be useful to have ability to set a limits of lookbehind
search
> for performance reasons.
> I can imagine a rule: If nonfixedlength lookbehind immediately preceded by
> capture group, then it is restricted to start position of this group.
Non-fixed-length lookbehinds are almost certainly never going to be implemented with the current PCRE2 design. It was originally inventedfor Perl-4 patterns and is very much left-to-right oriented. Note thatwhen Perl-5 invented lookarounds, they also restricted lookbehinds tofixed length, and I presume Perl implements them in the same way: moveback a fixed number of characters, then run the lookbehind forwards.

Nonfixedlength lookbehinds are implemented in some regex engines. And at least one of them (alternative Python regex engine) successfully implement it in left-to-right manner.

I'm sorry. But all previous posts in this topic are a suggestions how actually nonfixedlength lookbehinds can be implemented in CURRENT PCRE design.
What can you say about this suggestions?