Larry, does #2 connect directly to the net? Have you disabled the DSS and attempted to connect?

Have you checked your HOSTS file, at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc for any erroneous entries on both computers?

What is the vendor of the DSS? Does the DSS have a built in server?

Peter Kaulback

LarryB wrote:
I just got off the phone with a tech with Linksys. It boils down to a DNS problem according to the tech.

I have a Digital Surveillance System (DSS) using Windows XP and I have acquired a static IP address for the computer with the DSS installed on it. I am using bellsouth DSL and have their modem and a Linksys router.

I have my normal shop computer and it gets to the internet just fine using the same system as above.

I have configured the router just fine but when, from the computer 2, I ping the IP address of Yahoo.com for instance it give me the 4 returns I expect. If I ping "Yahoo.com" it can not find the server. The tech tells me that is a DNS problem and I should check with my software people. (Computer 2 will not connect to the internet.)

Does anyone understand my problem and can afford some help? The software is XP and I have no security installed like firewall etc. I turned XP's off. (I am in over my head.)